Sunday, September 14, 2008

New camera!

I eventually surrendered to the fact that I needed to buy a new camera, even if it is more expensive than in the States. I bought a Canon XS; I was going for the XSi , but then when I realized that Bank of America wouldn't let me take out the money to buy the more expensive XSi, I took it as a sign that I should accept the XS.

I bought it from a store called Monte Carlo, a nice looking store owned by some Lebanese guy. Keeping in line with the "Money over God" theme mentioned in a previous blog post, the salesperson took my $730 USD in cash and placed it directly on top of the Koran, the Islamic holy book. I don't know too much about Islam, but I do know that the Koran, the actual physical book, is quite sacred, and many people keep it wrapped up. Touching it isn't a simple matter; I was once told that only certain people are allowed to hold it.

In other news, it's Mid-autumn festival, a time to buy overpriced mooncakes and have banquets. One family here has been very kind to me, and helped introduce me to all sorts of people and helped me out with my project, so I bought them some mooncakes. I don't really like them that much, so don't buy me any, thanks.

1 comment:

Maya Bery said...

Ah, mooncakes for mid-autumn festival. I would never have guessed. I mean, it's not like my fridge is overflowing with them, or that there are still two whole boxes on our dining room table (two were parceled off to host families).