Thursday, July 10, 2008

Welcome

So this is a blog that is meant to describe and show some of my experiences during my year as a Watson Fellow. My project focuses on documenting various Chinatowns and Chinese communities (where a "Chinatown" has not yet been formally established), and you can read the abstract at watsonfellowship.org (the link goes to a list of 2008-09 fellows).

 I love photography (otherwise I wouldn't be doing this...), but didn't get a chance to do as much as I would have liked in college. I spent the latter half of my college career focusing on my major, East Asian studies, and the field of public health, eventually writing my thesis on China's barefoot doctors program during the 1960s and 1970s (shameless plug: PDF copy available at the link). What my liberal arts education did teach me, I hope, is how to look at things holistically, which I think may help as I attempt to understand and document things around me.

Please do leave comments and questions in the comments section of any blog post. Many people have already asked me very good questions, and they help me think of different perspectives and approaches.

No comments: