Sunday, July 13, 2008

Things go poorly sometimes

A few days ago I went out to try and find the Peruvian-Chinese Association, an organization that appears to be geared mostly towards the tusan Chinese -- those born in Peru. I had been in email contact with them while applying for the Watson Fellowship, and they had been very helpful in their emails. After hearing back from the fellowship committee, I wrote them again, but they did not respond. At any rate, I decided I would try to seek out their actual association building, having gotten their address. Several things went wrong:
1) Street names had changed -- all maps I consulted gave the street name "Republica de Panama," whereas the actual street name had become something like "Avenida Roosevelt." I walked about an hour too far before realizing that I had probably missed it.
2. Building were not numbered.
3. To top it all off, when I finally got to the correct building, I was told by the security guard the Association had moved not too long ago (Their phone number wasn't working, either).

I have yet to try and find the new location, and although I will make it there, I am not going to be terribly optimistic that it will contribute significantly to my project. I'm interested in people, not organizations. And I am also still fine-tuning my "photo-interviewing" skills, so that people will be as they are and allow me to photograph. Many people have been very open to sharing their stories, but many also put up their defenses when I begin to photograph. Actually, I have had great opportunities to get to know a lot of people here, and many go way out of their way to help me.

Finally, my pocket-sized camera appears to be out of order. The lens won't slide back into the camera body or slide all the way out; I'll visit the Canon shop in Lima, but for now it's a no-go.

No comments: