Sunday, May 24, 2009

The snake

Today I witnessed the slaughter of a snake and its subsequent consumption in Saigon. I have only seen a slaughter a few times in my life -- I witnessed the slaughter of huge pig in Cuba on Christmas eve, some fish, chickens with their heads plucked off, and that's about it. In a way, if you are going to eat an animal, I think you should be able to see where it comes from, how it ends up on your plate.

I had deep fried snake once before, in China. This snake was served in a stew. Snake meat is kind of like a cross between tough fish and chicken.

Those with snake phobia (Annalisa), you might want to skip this post.










The snake out of the bag.

Gutting the snake.


Squeezing the blood out to mix with rice wine.


Amazingly, the snake -- gutted, head cut off -- still wrestles with itself.
Removing the innards of the snake

This guy ate the raw gall bladder of the snake.
Snake soup. THese are snake eggs that the slaughtered female snake carried inside itself. They kind of just taste like egg yoke.

Rice wine mixed with snake blood and bile. Down it as fast as possible.

No comments: